In preparation for painting the front door, we stripped all the years of old paint off of it today. There are many decades of beauty and history in this door.
A huge part of the exterior restoration is the 8′ tall windows that surround the house. Each window is being stripped, repaired and restored back to its original state.
Further, we are repairing and restoring all of the original shutters, which are being painted black.
The shutter hardware was finished this week with a clear rust-oleum finish.
They are now being installed on the windows in preparation for the shutters.
The newly installed windows really stand out and look great.
The house had two clawfoot tubs that were in pretty bad shape when we discovered them. One of the tubs had a date engraved on the bottom, 1913. The second tub was dated 1920. They were built by American Standard Fixture Company. Pretty incredible.
The courtyard is now complete. It is bordered by the brick summer kitchen and 3-car garage. The French doors at the side entry open into the first floor sunroom and breakfast room. The brick exterior walls of the original side porch form the back wall of the sunroom. This gives the feel of a seamless entertaining space.